UK Art and Design Courses
Introduction to Art and Design
International students applying to study Art in the UK will need to think about which part of the subject they are interested in, and then research the right art school or university to apply to. Each art school has different equipment and specialisations to help you learn.
Studio-based work is central to all Art courses and can include painting, sculpture, installation, printing, photography and digital media, with students specialising in their own area of interest.
Universities often invite professional artists and critics to talk to students, whose studio work often culminates in a public display of final year students' art.
Graduate Art and Design Careers and Salary
Art graduates will move into careers in multimedia, publishing, advertising, museums, galleries, fashion, and the film industry, doing a wide range of roles which can include photography, illustration, graphic design, interior design and website design.
- Average starting professional salary: £19,000
- Average starting non-professional salary: £15,808
Source: Higher Education Statistics Agency, Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2016-17.
Art and Design Entry Requirements
Most courses do not specify what subjects you should have studied at school, but some insist on achievement in an art-related subject. Studying art and history of art is recommended and a personal portfolio of your collected work is a must.
- Typical International Baccalaureate requirements: Minimum 34 points.
- Typical A-levels requirements: ABB and a portfolio of work.
- Typical IELTS requirements: 6.5 overall, with no lower than 6.0 in any one component.
Please note that entry requirements vary for each UK university.
Where can I study Art in the UK?
To learn more about the best Art courses in the UK, find details on the top ten ranking Art universities in the Guardian University Guide 2022 below:
- University of Oxford
- Newcastle University
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- University College London
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- University of the Arts London
- University of Sunderland
- Liverpool John Moores University
- University of Derby
- Lancaster University
Study Art and Design in the UK
If you are interested in learning more about studying Art in the UK, arrange your free consultation with SI-UK today.